Monday, October 24, 2011

How can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?

I bought a car and I cant get the locknut off to change the tire. The rims are 20 in forte's and the nuts are from an auto part store like pep boys or auto zone.How can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?call up a custom tire and wheel shop in the area. they usually remove wheel nuts for a price. Sometimes they want to see the title to verify ownershipHow can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?You might be able to find the key from the manufacture. If not you may just have to bust the bolt and replace it, or maybe you can grind the top of the bolt off. I really don't know, I have never lost my locknut key.How can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?what you do is get a deep well socket a little bit smaller than you lock nut take a hammer and bang it on to the lock until its flush wench or breaker bar with a long pipe over top of the breaker bar/socket wrench for leverage and then twist it to the left and it should come off thats how ive done it on many occasions i use to work for aaa roadside assistanceHow can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?If you can't get a replacement lock key, you're only option is a pipe wrench.How can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?I'm sure you have already checked, but double check the glove box, center console, or the spare tire area for the %26quot;key%26quot;. If not, it all really depends on how much room you have between the lock and the wheel. For stock wheels (more room between the lock and wheel), most of the time you can hammer on a socket and then use a breaker bar to take it off. If that doesn't work, you could always try the wheel lock kits sold by the tool trucks like somebody else suggested. I am guessing that you will have a hard time getting the correct key from the parts store. Good luck.How can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?they make sockets with reverse threads that will bite into the outsides of the nuts. you simply push in and turn counter clock-wise to remove, preferably with a long handled 1/2%26quot; ratchet. i do not know if your local part store carries these. they are available from tool companies like snap-on, mac, matco, etc. you might want to check Napa auto parts, they may have them.How can i get the lock nut off my rims without the lock key?first go back to the auto parts store and see if they can help you you may have to buy it but that's the way it goes. the only other way is carefully with an air chisel, or freeze the nuts (we used to use a can or two of freon that air conditioners use, and then smack tie frozen nuts with a hammer, check with les scwab, they may have some good ideas. good luck