Monday, October 24, 2011

Optimal solution: buy and old car or get the car fixed?

I have Toyota Camry 1998 LE cylinder 4 model with 106K miles which I mostly use for commute to office. Its engine got seized because I forgot to change engine oil in time. Now, what is my optimal solution? I don't want to buy a new reliable car which is going to cost around 20k.



I see two options. Buying similar car / Toyota Carola / Honda Civic with similar mileage and year and selling my broken car though I don't know how much I will get for it with engine not working. However, I changed tires about 8 months ago and changed timing belt and water pump about an year ago.



I guess 2nd option will be to get it repaired. Other than engine problem, I don't have any known issue in this car. In repair also there are two choices: get refurbished engine or get the current engine repaired.



I am not sure which one is optimal solution. Can someone help me taking decision? What should I do? Which option to choose and how much it is going to cost or is there any other alternative?



Thanks.Optimal solution: buy and old car or get the car fixed?Look at getting a used engine from a salvage yard. It will be much less expensive than a new or rebuilt engine, and will keep your car on the road.



try-http://www.car-part.com/Optimal solution: buy and old car or get the car fixed?I wouldn't spend much money on another car, cause you'll probably seize that engine too. If you can't be bother will oil changes, get a bicycle.