Monday, October 24, 2011

My car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?

I know zilch about cars except the basics - replacing fluids, changing a tire, etc. Here's my problem: a few months ago my car started randomly overheating. I checked the coolant, and there was plenty in there, but just in case, I added more. There were no leaks either. So the car would overheat, and then randomly cool off again. One friend checked it while it was overheating and he was pouring more coolant in there and the radiator seemed to be drinking it up in spurts. He told me he knew a bit about cars and the radiator was clogged and needed flushing, and to use plain water for the time being. That's what I did.



So, a couple of weeks ago my car begins to overheat permanently - if I drive it for more than a mile or so, it's in the red and won't go down. The other day it got so hot it actually turned off at an intersection after a series of clanking noises. So now my other car person friend says he doesn't think it's a clogging thing, and it must be something about a gasket.



My two-part question is: A) what's wrong with my car and B) how can I fix it myself? Going to a mechanic is out of the question as it'll cost more than the old clunker is worth. I have a bottle of Radiator Flush and a bottle of fresh new coolant. Please help. Thanks!My car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?Have you checked the oil recently? If the oil looks milky, it could possibly be a bad head gasket,

and the coolant will leak in here, and mix with the oil.My car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?you may have already fried the engine/thin wall casting doesnt put up with constant over heat/replace w/pump and t/stat and try it againMy car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?You never put just water in the radiator

and the drinking of coolant in %26quot;spurts%26quot; is NORMAL



I suspect you have a fan problem. that would cause the car to run fine on the highway with air cooling, but around town it could overheat-- thus the intermittent overheatMy car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?Are you seeing any external leaks when the car is parked? Have you taken the car in at all and had the cooling system pressure tested?



The cooling system is a closed system so fluid should not disappear under normal circumstances. If you had to add fluid, that suggests a leak somewhere. If there isn't an external leak, it could still be leaking internally. By that I mean the coolant could be either mixing with the engine oil within the engine and/or it is being burned inside 1 or more of the cylinders (usually a sign of a bad head gasket).



Take the car to a trusted shop or dealer. Fixing a coolant leak is a lot cheaper than replacing an engine (which may very well happen if you continue to drive while it is overheating).My car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?It's probably a sticky thermostat, but it could be a lot of other things too. Take it to a mechanic, you gotta do it.My car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?ok usually i fix tanks - but an engine is an engine

from what you describe first thing i would check if the thermostat of the cooling is stuck.

first some information:

Your car's thermostat allows coolant to circulate when the engine is warmed up and should be closed when the engine is cold so that the car can warm up faster. It's a fairly inexpensive part that's replaced easily, but when it fails, your car can overheat, causing costly engine damage.

so her is how to check it:

1.Warm up the car but don't let it overheat--don't let the temperature gauge go into the red.

2. Turn off the engine

3. Open the hood

4. Find the upper radiator hose. It's black, is made of rubber and is about 2 inches in diameter, with metal clamps on either end. The upper hose goes into the top of the radiator.

5. Locate the lower radiator hose. It looks similar to the upper hose except that it attaches to the bottom part of the radiator

6. Touch each hose very carefully (they can be extremely hot). If the temperature gauge is indicating that the engine is warmed up but one hose is hot and the other is cold, the thermostat is probably stuck closed, and the coolant isn't circulating through the radiator

7. Have the thermostat replaced if this is the case - around 20 $



hope it solves your proplem :-)My car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?first of all you didn't say what kind fo car or year. that makes a lot of difference it could be the electric fan or fan Sensor, the thermostat, ahead or head gasket, radiator or ever the water pump. you should never run just water in your motor. antifreeze and water mix of 50/50 should always be run.My car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?Sounds a lot like a head gasket-warped or cracked cylinder headMy car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?yes i agree with the last guy i think its your head gasket , check it first instead of wasting money fixing other things and when you get confirmation youll need a new engine , in my expirience any one who has ever tried a head gasket replacement was wasting their time and ended up needing a new engine anywayMy car overheats randomly. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?My bet would be either your thermostat is sticking or your radiator fan isn't always spinning as fast as it can be.