Friday, June 3, 2011

Is it possible to maintain a car by yourself without having to take it to a repair shop or dealership?

I would like to do this so that I can save money and learn more about my car. I already know the basics such as checking and adding fluid, filter replacements, oil changes, tire rotations, etc..



I know that there are certain things that a repair shop or dealership is best left to handle, such as engine belts. But other than the very complicated stuff like engine belts and the electronic system, is it possible to learn how to maintain the car by myself and save myself a lot of money?Is it possible to maintain a car by yourself without having to take it to a repair shop or dealership?Sure. Why not? You should spend as much time with %26quot;professional%26quot; mechanics as I have to figure out that there is nothing - I mean NOTHING at all - they do anybody with at lease marginal integence could. They do have tools though...Is it possible to maintain a car by yourself without having to take it to a repair shop or dealership?Maintian? yes



Do ALL repairs? Not really with newer vehicles.



And where did you get the notion that belts were difficult to change?Is it possible to maintain a car by yourself without having to take it to a repair shop or dealership?As long as you are mechanically inclined the answer is absolutely. Buy a manual for your car and follow it. I started out doing this and after a while you can figure things out on your own. I now work as a certified mechanic in Michigan.Is it possible to maintain a car by yourself without having to take it to a repair shop or dealership?there aren't too many things on these new cars that backyard mechanics can do anymore, it takes special tools and gauges to be able to work on them and diagnose the problems, you should be able to change the serpentine belt with not too many problems as actually those are easier to change than the old belts on the 60's cars, the only problem is sometimes there is not a lot of room to work and I have had to take a motor mount off to get a new belt on a grand am.