Friday, September 23, 2011

I want to build my first car; is it possible?

Okay, so Im a 15 year old girl, and I want to build my first car. I have basic, knowledge on engines, and tires. ( I.e., how to change oil, change tires , and a couple of other miniscule things.) but thats it.

I found a great car the other day at a junk yard. No rust, just typical wear and tear for cars that are out there.



I do have a uncle whom, could help me occasionally along with my bestfriends brother who works on cars. but for the most part it would only be me.



So I want to know, if it's possible for me to learn to build one; and to actually build it? and just how much would it be? Average Cost, with a simplistic engine, and paint job. ( The model is a classic ford)



Please and ThankYou :]I want to build my first car; is it possible?Go for it girl!! Just take the word %26quot;can't%26quot; out of your mind, you can do anything you want to. Everybody started at the same place your at. Just don't let it overwhelm you. I's not rocket science. If you plan to do the labor yourself and with the help of friends that will save you a ton of money. At 15 I would suppose you want to do this on the cheap and use it as a learning curve. First of all, mark everything you take off the car and take as many digital pics as you need. Don't expect to remember where everything goes and as a first timer it's better to be sure where it goes and how. If something has to be taken out a certain way, remember that or write it down so you will remember the little trick of how you got it out, it'll take the same trick to get it back in. If there isn't any rusting then you won't have much body work to do. Has the car been wrecked? Does it run, how well? Does the transmission shift? Wheels and tires, what shape? Why is it in a junk yard? That would be my first question.You might want to get your uncle to look at the car since from what you said he has some experience with cars. Go on the internet and order yourself a Summitt catalog, a Speedway catalog and Jegs, they are all free. Find a Shop Manual for the specific car you buy, Chiltons is the best. There are plenty of forums on the internet where yoou can get information. I wish I knew what kind of car it was, that would be a big help. If the engine is in rough shape don't pay too much for the car, remember you will have to get an engine from a junk yard and rebuild it or orger a crate engine which you can get basic OEM around 1500. All I want to do is let you know that you CAN do it. Just use all the resources you need to get information. Everything you know now you had to learn, Right? Then what makes you think you can't do this? Cause your a girl? That's an excuse not a reason. I don't know If you can contact me again but I sure would like to keep up with your build. I'm a old rodder and it's just great to see oug people taking an interest in the hobby. I have a 1966 Chevrolet, that's 43 years old. Pretty old huh? No fuel injection, no emission controls and a very basic wiring system. Just love the old cars, you can work on them. Get into fuel injection and these engines that run by computers and I'm done. I wish you the best of luck, and never ever forget, You Can do it.!!I want to build my first car; is it possible?about $8,000 because the enginge is really expensive and the paintI want to build my first car; is it possible?People often confuse possible and probable. Almost anything is possible, probability depends on a number of factors. What kind of shape is the car in? If its mechanically sound, great, but it takes more than shade-tree knowledge to keep an older car running. I say older because you called it a classic. Also what do you mean by %26quot;build%26quot;? Returning the car to the road is one thing, restoring it is another. Its expensive and takes time, but don't let your gender stand in your way. Take auto classes at school. Sometimes they let you bring your own car and work on it, class project style. Got a lot of free work done on my Chevelle that way. Good luck.