Friday, September 23, 2011

RC Car Suspension Racing Question...?

I have just purchased an Associated 12R5.1 1/12th scale RC car. I was wandering, on a medium grip carpet track, where or how soft should I make the middle spring to get maximum traffic for the rear-end? I race in the 13.5 Lipo class and we get to speeds of around 45mph going down the straight away. I am losing traction coming out of the sweeper and the car just comes around? How should I fix this (I cannot change tires as they are mandatory in this class that everyone runs the same tire compounds). Thanks!RC Car Suspension Racing Question...?That is an excellent question. If you are running the base setup of the R5.1 then you probably have the gold or red spring on it. At our track which is also a medium grip carpet track we try to run as stiff of a spring possible for maximum steering and corner speed without causing the rear end to spin out in the corners. Try to run one spring softer.



So if you have a copper spring on now - then go to a red spring in the middle. If you are running a red spring, try a gold, etc. etc.



You shouldn't have to run anything lighter than a gold though.



That should solve your problem.